Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's all about the Numbers

So, I've realized that people put too much stock in numbers. If it's not your weight or dress size, it's your GPA or grades. No matter what kind of test or item that is being numbered if you don't fall into a particular bracket, it's completely unacceptable.

Now dress sizes, a lot of people think that a woman should be a size 6-8 and that's perfectly normal, while a size 10-12 or more is obese. Well folks hate to break it to you lot but 10-12 is pretty average. My sisters who are not fat by any means fall into the 10-12 range....I think two of them might be a little below that, I don't keep up with my sisters sizes as I can't share their clothes. Anyway, this is ridiculous, I hate that women are labled obese because of a stupid number. Now, I'm an 18 at the moment, I've gone as high as 20, but never more than that. And I feel pretty good. I mean yeah I have my days where I'm just going nuts and I feel terrible but everyone has their days. But today, I went to Ross. Ross is a store that sells clothes that were last years styles or left overs from other shops. Today while I was there with a friend I found a very nice skirt suit. I was so happy I found it and at the low price of $19.99 (yay for no sales tax in Montana!) I was able to purchase it. My issue with the whole thing....there were all of maybe 10-15 items in the dressy section for women larger than a size 10. (I mean in each size bracket) So I'm lucky I found this suit that I really liked. But it still made me mad that the little itty bitty sizes have all this selection while us larger ladies are stuck picking through the dregs.

As it is here in Montana I have two choices for clothes if I want to be able to try them on before I buy. I can go 50 years to old for me or 10 years too young for me. I'm not kidding, there is not one store here that has clothes for larger women in my age bracket. I mean sure we have DEBS and Maurices, but they cater to the little teeny boppers and high schoolers. We also have C. J. Banks which sells larger womens clothes but for women who are firmly established in their professions and/or approaching retirement age. (No offense to anyone who shops there) There is no Lane Byrant in the state, the nearest one in fact is more than 5 hours away. So I have to go digging through oodles and oodles of clothes that are not for me to find one little itty bitty item to wear.

And don't get my started on panties. OH! It makes me so mad, I have to go to the specialty lingerie store to get cute panties because all the regular stores sell in my size are granny panties. (Again no offense to those who wear them) And I'm sorry but those just do not make me feel sexy. I am a 20 year old woman. I want to feel sexy damn it!

Back to the numbers thing, another thing I mentioned that we put too much stock in as far as numbers are concerned are grades and GPA's. Now I have a 3.1 at the moment, and that's not too shabby, but you want to know what my mom said...."You can do better!" And yeah maybe I could if I wasn't being forced to take things like Biology that I have no interest in or need of. Yes I understand that a basic understanding of biology is necessary, but I think I got what I needed in high school, thanks. I don't do well in science or math. I can pass them with difficulty, and usually not with the best grades. But, most people don't realize that the national average for a GPA is a 2.0 that's a C. I have a solid B average so what the heck is my mother complaining about! I am not my brainiache older sister who got all A's in high school and almost all A's in college. I am average....actually according to the studies I'm above average. So HUSH! I'm so tired of hearing how much better my sisters are than me in school. I'm so tired of hearing how this sister did that or this in college, and the implied "Why can't you be more like them?" Funny, I'm not like them, get over it, move on.

1 comment:

  1. Let go of those numbers altogether. The reality is, you may fit a range of up to six sizes! I certainly can get into about four different sizes, depending on the brand and the style. I tend to go to the large end of the rack, hold it up and then think "Hmmm... about 2 sizes smaller than this maybe." Sometimes I stick with that largest size. Depending on what the garment looks like when I hold it up and inspect it.

    Other than a guideline to know where to look, sizes do not matter a jot.

    If you want to online shop, a good idea is next time you CAN get to a Lane Bryant or a Torrid etc, go and try on a bunch of styles. Fitted and flowing, short and long. Get an idea of how they fit you, and what are the best size in each type of garment. Take a notebook and write it down. Then trust that you can usually order online and get the right size.

    And tailoring is your best friend! Spend a few dollars and get things taken in, up or shaped. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete