Monday, June 28, 2010

There is No Escape!

So I was driving home from the store today. Minding my own business, listening to a good CD, and BAM! I stop at a stop light and what do I see in front of me? "GR2 Lose the weight and keep it off!" emblazoned across the back door of the van in front of me. Now I'd been having a pretty good day up until that point. I'd gone out gotten some groceries, paid my rent, and then I got smacked in the face by the weight loss industry.

There is no escaping the giant monster that is the weight loss industry. For crying out loud even Chiropractors are getting in on it! There's a practice here in town that says they have a supervised plan to help you become thin and stay that way. Their add on the radio is one reason I frequently choose to drag around CD's or listen to podcasts.

I mean really I don't see that many people who are a "OMG DEATHFATS!". If you haven't heard of Deathfats you may want to check out Two Whole Cakes Fatcast their episode on Language and safe space, which I believe is episode 7, covers it well. Anyway, I don't see that many Deathfats around. I more often see people who are my own size, maybe a little bigger, maybe a little smaller, but the industry keeps attempting to beat me to death with their message, that "OMG! IF YOU DON'T LOSE 20 POUNDS YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!" And honestly I'm tired of hearing it.

So what I'm not a stick. So what I carry a little extra weight around...well maybe more than a little. But please would you people just shut up! I am not gonna keel over and die in the next five minutes. In fact I'm probably not gonna keel over and die in the next 20 years unless some kind of major health issue pops up or I get hit by a bus. Ok now watch that jinx me.

To wrap things up...I'm tired of hearing how fat I am from random billboards, car advertisements, radio ads, and infomercials, created by people who like to think they're "helping" fat people. They can go shove it, I like me just the way I am.

2 comments:

  1. Lose 30 pounds in 10 days... YEAH RIGHT! The don't care about our health. All the care about is making profit off the fatties.

    There's an award waiting for you over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be surprised, most of the people you think are not deathfatz actually are classified as morbidly obese on the BMI scale.

    Many of the fabulous bloggers you see living their lives to the full, dancing, riding bikes, vegetarians, getting into fashion, you name it are actually deathfatz.

    Besides, you cannot tell just by looking at someone whether they are just overweight, obese or morbidly obese (deathfatz).

    What you might not see around much are morbidly obese people who have mobility or health issues. But they're only one small section of the whole deathfatz spectrum.

    Once you find yourself critical of weight loss advertising, it isn't so hard to see the stuff around. Pull it apart, question it, see the ridiculousness of it, and it's like water off a duck's back!

    ReplyDelete