Sunday, June 13, 2010

Body Positive Fiction

So, my friend that I have mentioned before over at Fat Heffalump, posted quite some time ago about Kerry Greenwood's Corinna Chapman series. And recently I finally got a library card here at my local library. Well guess what series they have the first three books of? I picked up Earthly Delights, which is the first book in the series, yesterday and I've finished it already.

It was fabulous! In all honestly one of the best books I've read in a very very long time. And I'm not one for mystery novels, but these were great! The mystery thing is very subtle and she gets pulled into solving them through what she does naturally for other people. This isn't one of those generic mystery novels where the main character's job is as a PI. Nope Corinna is a Baker. And I bake so I really enjoy the fact that there are recipes in the back. Now I just have to fine a way to convert grams over to tablespoons and such.

Anyway, this series of books is very body positive, and I couldn't help laughing and almost crying because I know exactly how the character feels as a fat woman. But yes, I really think all fat women should read this book, it gave me a big boost. Not really in my self esteem but it just gave me a boost...a warm fuzzy feeling if you will.

Unfortunately those of us ladies in the US...I have yet to find a bookstore that carries these books in stock. It's rather upsetting.

3 comments:

  1. I am SO glad that you found these books and enjoy them. I love them to bits, and am working my way through the series again.

    Can you not get them through Amazon or even Book Depository?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put in a request for Earthly Delights at my library. I am looking for a new mystery series to follow, so thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazon has the first three but not the other two. Though I think the fifth one isn't out yet. I can also order them through my local bookstores. But I try to keep my book buying to a minimum because books are expensive, and shipping costs a bunch too. Though eventually I may have to go buy them from private sellers used off one of the sites. Sometimes you can get good buys that way.

    And I assume a 'doona' is a beadspread yes?

    You're very welcome April, I had trouble putting it down once I was no longer being interrupted every few sentences.

    ReplyDelete