Tuesday, June 15, 2010

FAT! FATTY FAT FAT!

Recently I realized how much of an aversion I have to the word fat. In my last post I had to make myself go back and put the word fat into the post where I had put "larger woman". Then I read through the post again and had to stop and tell myself that fat was not a bad word.

Everyday we hear from so many sources that fat is bad. "OMG she is soooo fat!" "Am I getting fat?!" "Does my butt look fat in these jeans?" And the word itself has become anathema to society. As a fat woman I am particularly sensitive to this word. Why? Because up until the last...oh 8 months to a year I thought that I was an ugly, worthless, human being, that no one would ever care about. Sure no one ever came out and said it to my face, but I heard it in whispers and glances. I heard it on the TV, the radio, and from my parents. As such I have come to equate the word fat with one of the most horrible insults possible.

But it's really not an insult. It's being used as one in most circles, but it's not. It's just a word.

So the next time I hear someone say I'm fat I'm gonna smile and say thank you! ^_^ Again why? Because loving your enemies (or in this case people who are just rude) confuses and embarrasses them. And as the saying goes, "I'd rather die fat and happy."

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely hated when people called my fatty, fat girl or 'the fat one' while I was growing up but I've come to terms with this because I'M FAT and it's not a horrible thing. I'd rather die fat and happy too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat is just a thing. It has no moral value. It's no different to tall, white, female, gay, freckly, curly-haired, blonde or any other physical descriptor. Fat is just fat.

    However, I have to admit, I do find myself dropping my voice a tone - not because I am uncomfortable with the word fat for myself, but because other people visibly wince at the word and I unconsciously want to soften it for them. Silly, but it's kind of instinct.

    BTW - your blog is looking sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Blogger has this new template designer that I absolutely love!

    And I try to use the word in the no moral value sense but it's hard because for so long I thought being fat was a 'bad' thing.

    And Curvy Lady I know exactly what you mean. It hurts when all they see is body shape and not the rest of the package.

    ReplyDelete