Friday, July 16, 2010

Recent Thoughts

Before I actually get into this whole post, I'd like to say hi and thank you to the three people following this blog...and sleepydumpling because she's reads it too! ^_^ Because you don't know how good it makes me feel that what I'm writing isn't just going out there and disappearing.

Anyway recently a link from Fat Heffalump's Facebook Page there was a link to another page pointing out a rather fabulous blog post, here. And this blog post has me thinking about a few things. How women define themselves by how fat or thin they are. How they ignore other aspects of themselves if they think they have 10/100 lbs to lose. These aspects include, sense of humor, smile, and intellect. Things that make us who we are in so many more ways than fat does.

This in turn has me thinking about something that occurred several months ago on campus. I met up with someone I had Ancient Rome with outside of class. He offered to walk me to my car and we walked and talked and when we got to my car we talked some more. He's a really nice guy by the way. Anyway he blurts out, "I can't believe you're not married! You have such a great personality!" And this made me step back a little. Because a little voice inside my head went, "My personality is more important than my weight?" I squashed that bug hard, because even then I knew my personality was more important than my weight, but I still had/have that voice of society embedded in my head telling me that the only important feature about me was my body. So I responded that most people can't get past the weight to see the personality. And he replied that that was complete bull because the personality is more important than looks.

And I honestly probably would have ended up dating this guy if I wasn't already with someone else. But what he said really made part of that voice of society go silent. Because hey, someone thought I was worth their time because I had a great personality!

So the whole point of this post was me kinda looking back, at mostly my college career, and remembering. Remembering when I'm standing in line to sell books back right in front of the stairs to the dorms I get disgusted looks from girls walking through. Remembering that guy who walked me to my car. Remembering...just remembering all those moments that were fat positive and ones that were fat negative, and even just happy moments and sad moments when someone was nice to me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading now! =0)
    Loved this post. It is amazing when one of those "ah-ha!" moments strikes you. So glad to hear it!
    www.notblueatall.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must all remember that no one will ever care about our weight as much as we do.
    Weight should never be a deterrent for anything in life, it will never ever define a person.
    Most people see you for all the amazing qualities that you possess, and if they don't they are not worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waves back! Y'all know I'm reading!

    Always remember that good people see the beauty in others for more than just the outer packaging.

    And it's ok to acknowledge that little voice, but you don't have to believe it, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again everyone! ^_^ And I try to ignore it most of the time. Sometimes it's just so sneaky though it slips through. But lately I was walking into an office at work to clean and I saw my reflection in the window. Full on frontal view no turning or twisting and I thought, "You know...I'm no larger than the women I see everyday on the street." It was another ah ha moment for me because I realized...I'm not bigger than a house, as some made me feel like I was.

    And p-enguin, one group of people I can't get to shut up about my weight are my parents. Everytime I go visit, "You should lose weight!" "I feel so much better since I lost all that weight." *hint hint* "You'd look so pretty if you just lost some weight!" And these are pretty much quotes out of my parents mouths.

    ReplyDelete