Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Poetry, Oh How I Love Thee!

So while in my advanced poetry class I've decided to take it upon myself to inform people about fat hate, the 'obesity epidemic', and various fat acceptance topics through my poetry. Here is the first of my attempts. Please be aware the title is a work in progress I am not happy with it at all, but I need at least a working title to take it in and have it critiqued in class. There will be others in this series hopefully. And I'm not completely happy with this one yet either.


Fat Hate

A cow, a bitch, a woman, curved and round, maybe lumpy.
Called ugly, unloved, unhealthy, obese. Vilified by a society
obsessed with thin, perfect BMI* beauties, impossibilities of
flesh. Bombarded by diets, drugs, and surgeries. Call Curves,
call the gym, Atkins diet, Phenphedrine**, Apidexin***, Gastric
Banding. A fourty billion dollar Industry, with less than five
percent success. Have you called Jenny yet?


* body mass index
** + *** two of 2011’s “best” diet drugs

1 comment: