Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Post-Christmas

So I haven't said a word about my Christmas at my parents house. So for the most part it went well. They liked my boyfriend, no one got yelled at, and I had a relatively relaxing time. On the other hand, on more than one occasion I wanted to slap my parents and siblings.

My father only a few days into the visit comes up to me and says he hasn't seem me this happy in a long time, and then he said he's only going to say something once, "If only you'd lose your weight." That's a quote folks. Since it was Christmas and I didn't want to make a huge scene in front of the young and impressionable nephews I gritted my teeth and didn't say a word. Now if you notice he said he can see how happy I am, then why the hell do I need to lose weight?! I'm happy, I'm loved, and I have a wonderful boyfriend who thinks I'm gorgeous! Now you tell me why I need to lose weight. Why do I need to change myself when I'm obviously happy as I am? Of course he's a doctor so he'd probably say something about diabetes and heart disease. Okay sure more people who are 'overweight' end up with heart disease and diabetes, but just because I'm fat does not in any way shape or form mean I'm gonna get diabetes or heart disease. Thin people have those too for crying out loud! They are not fat-caused health issues!!

Now my mother and sisters all ride the 'lifestyle changes' wagon. They say they don't believe that dieting works, but isn't lifestyle changes just another diet? In essence with a lifestyle change you are depriving yourself of certain things over a long period of time; ie eating only a bite of cake when you want the whole bloody piece, eating one bowl of soup and then saying your full when in fact you are still hungry and want a second.

My mother and sisters didn't outright say to my face that I needed to make lifestyle changes, but I'm pretty sure that's why we got on the topic. Again I didn't want to make a scene since it was the holidays and that would have made things rather unpleasant. My weight is not fluctuating outside of norms therefore I am doing something right with my eating.

I do not need to make lifestyle changes. I do not need to lose weight. I am happy, I am healthy, I am fat. Get over it.

1 comment:

  1. i had The Fat Talk with my folks over Christmas. My dad said pretty much the same thing yours did so I feel like I know a bit about what you experienced. Just wanted to pop by and say you are fabulous! You are living life radically just by acknowledging your fat awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete