Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm Allowed to Ride the Elevator too!

So last week I had the experience of getting on an elevator and going up one floor and having a guy remark upon me taking it up just one floor. Now as some of you have read I have issues with my knee acting up on occasion. As a result I kinda avoid steps as much as possible as they make it worse. Mind you I can't do that at work or home and there's enough of them that frequently I come home with my knee twinging and my hip hurting because my knee is out of wack. So this guy says something about me taking the elevator. And I said the first thing that came to mind "I busted my leg right below my knee two years ago and it makes my knee acts up so I take the elevator." What I really should have said was, "Yeah because I'm, you know, fat." and smiled at him.

I always do that come up with the greatest comebacks after the fact. But since then it irks me when people give me dirty looks for getting on the elevator. Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I'm not allowed to use the elevator. Elevators are not a thin-centric privilege. You do not know what other people's abilities are nor do you know if they have an injury/past injury/disability that makes taking the stairs hard or painful.

2 comments:

  1. I think I would have looked at him (if he didn't have a visible disability) and asked him exactly why he was taking the elevator. If he thinks only disabled people are supposed to use the elevator and he wasn't disabled, then WTF was he doing using it? But then, I'm snarky like that......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have said "If I didn't take the elevator, you'd have missed sharing it with my hotness, toots!" and tossed my head and walked away!

    ReplyDelete